How many times have you gotten some highly creative idea after watching or playing with your child?
Creating an environment with the sheer energy, excitement, and creative enthusiasm of a child is something that businesses needs to understand and nurture.
The excitement that emanates from a playful work environment is directly related to the ability of the work force to apply these creative ideas to solving problems, and creating innovations in products and services.
Think about the creative process this way. Imagine an idea as a round ball thrown onto a meeting table. In a structured...See more workplace, were people are not easily engaged, the ball may easily roll off the table. That same ball in a fun working environment, might get some immediate comments. Think about each comment as a small piece of plastic you stick to the ball. The many pieces of plastic will keep the ball on the table, and the idea alive.
Now, in a total insane, environment, that same ball might get enough pieces of plastic that it form a cube-something out of a total fun idea, has become a valid, reasonable idea, and a solution to business problems.
Companies that encourage the child in each employee, have greater chance at capturing success.
In any company, a sense of comfort and trust can be achieved when all employees know exactly what to expect regarding their responsibilities, and authorities. Here are some basic expectations, for employees, and the company, if a level of enjoyment at work is to be achieved.
1. Create a fair, equal and consistent environment
2. Challenge your employees
3. Pay close attention to employees in your company
4. Share, and exchange accomplishment and lack of it regularly
5. The bottom line? Never miss an opportunity to recognize employees for things they perceive as valuable and important.
If a child felt that each new addition to the environment was a potential threat, his or her degree of enthusiasm and creativity would be greatly reduced. Companies that create a safe, supportive environment for employees have a higher incidence of fun, and higher level of creativity and productivity.
To get you thinking about the outlet you can create, here are some wild, and crazy ideas.
â¢ Create an annual apple pie bake off
â¢ Organize a company sport tournament, i.e. Ping-Pong, Foosball, etc.
â¢ Create a recipe exchange as part of a monthly bring-a-treat-for-lunch activity
â¢ Plan dress-up or costume days on days other than Halloween
â¢ Create a Fabulous Friday program, with each department expected to plan, and execute an activity that will create a positive outlet for employees
â¢ Set up few days a year when employees are encouraged to bring their children to work
â¢ Create a wild day. Once each month select one name at random (all names are placed in a hat) from your employee list who will be given an extra day off. By the next day the employee must designate the day they will be off and that day will be called the wild day for that month. Once 75% of all names have had a day off, all names go back in the hat.
1. Creating Exciting Environments - Company outings are a great example of expanding and linking it to fun
2. Celebrate - Celebrate victories after big sales initiative, after landing a new client, upon the wrap-up of a successful project, or at the end of an exceptional busy day that went flawlessly, gather everyone together for a celebration to mark this special event.
3. Make the work environment interesting - If your work environment is unattractive, spruce it up. Periodically, ask local artists and musicians to visit your site at lunch time to work or perform as a diversion for your employees.
4. Get Physical - Encourage and support the efforts of employees who want to organize softball, bowling, tennis, basketball, volleyball, swimming, and boating activities.
Define The Culture
The culture of a company helps to define the level of support an employee will find within the organization. The day-to-day practice of this culture sensibility is the ultimate driving force for the success of the company
Have you ever heard of a company where many of the employees actually tattoo the company logo on their body? Has Harley Davidson a secret other companies should learn
1. Casual Dress Code - Casual dress codes encourage the shedding of inhibitions and help create a fun and stray-free environment
2. Warm Fuzzies - Create an emotional bond with employees to reaffirm their worth to both you and the company itself.
How To Make Work Fun
Use this simple checklist to determine if you are making your company a fun place to work with and for. If you are not, think about why not! If you are, how can you make it even more fun and productive for your employees, your company, and yourself.
3. Allow Mistakes
4. Mandate Vacations
5. Create Family Events
6. Support Outside Interests
7. Encourage Healthy Lifestyles
Here are a few points of advise on how to make work fun
- Don't be embarrassed by a fun environment
- Trust is one of the most important words for you to learn
- Don't overdue the fun
Bring your company into the community
Be aware that what you consider fun may be offensive to members of your team
Once you develop a plan to increase the fun factor in your company, you must keep it going.
And finally, make having fun part of each managerâs job description.